Friday, November 2, 2012

My mentor is no more!

I found out you were gone this week.

Wow what a rush of memories. It was 39 nine years ago when I met you. I rang the bell at 203 main and Connie O'Brady ripped my head off and said you were in 202. That began my strange relationship with the mostly women of NYU's Bursars office.

My job was for only 2 weeks. Just temp. Strangely you took me under your wing. You brought out the best in me. I asked to stay you made it happen. The details are ours but with good and bad you made me who I am.

Hundreds of my employees, friends and family knew who Miss Devanny was.

Just for giggles when I review a memo or letter I can never forget how you made me cry like a baby that day as you changed my every word, thanks by the way I'm a great writer now.

Just know 39 years later everyone I teach I try to teach like you taught me. I loved and respected you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment